We have decided to start a blog to share our recipes and to also keep them in a place we can easily access them. We hope you enjoy them and the little tid bits of our lives that we throw in. Most recipes will be based on primal principles although a few non-primal baked goods may slip in :)

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Venison crockpot chili!


So this was my first attempt ever making chili. Tons of recipes out there. I choose one out of our new book The Everyday Low-carb Slow Cooker Cookbook by Bitter and Mayone. This is their "typical chili" recipe, although I changed and subbed a few things. I prepared everything the night before and stored it in the fridge, then threw it all in the next morning and let it cook while we were at work. What a great dinner to come home to!

2 pounds ground beef - I used 1# ground venison and 1# ground pork
1 onion chopped
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp kosher salt
1 green bell pepper, chopped - I used red
Did not use any beans - not primal
1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
Made 2 cups of beef broth from bouillon cubes
2 Tbs of chili powder
1 Tbs minced garlic
2 tsp's oregano
1 tsp cumin
Grated cheese for topping

I browned the meat, then threw everything in the crockpot. 8 hours on low. It turned out great! Despite the weird red picture, sorry about that. I was too excited to eat a delicious bowl of chili than mess with the camera settings. One thing to change next time; only use 1 tablespoon of chili powder. It was a little over powering and we prefer to let the other flavors come through.

No comments:

Post a Comment